Hotel Vikingin , France
Holiday Overall Rating
Food Quality Rating
So what's it like?
Sitting in the most prominent position in Morzine, the Viking Hotel is a great choice if you're after genuine ski-in, ski-out convenience. It’s located at the top of the Pleney gondola, so you can be first on the slopes, with fresh snow for powder hounds and panoramic views of Morzine at the bottom of the mountain. The resort is connected to the hotel by the Pleney gondola, which runs into the evening.
There are few better places in resort to grab lunch or while away a couple of sun-drenched hours than the Viking’s outdoor terrace. Be aware that it can get busy at peak times, but you get a nice mix of the hotel’s relaxed atmosphere and mountain-resort buzz in the air. Make sure you find time to relax in the hotel’s outdoor pool, which neighbours the slopes and the terrace.
The interior of the hotel is a mix of comfortable yet un-showy Alpine styling in the communal areas and contemporary bedrooms. There are also plenty more of the facilities you’d expect, like an on-site Skiset desk - so you can pick up your equipment without having to leave the hotel - plus extras like a once-weekly disco, which compensates for the nights when the gondola closes earlier and you can't make it down to town.
When it comes down to eating and drinking, the Viking is hard to beat. Breakfasts are an affair in themselves, the options are varied and there's enough to get you ready for the active day ahead. And in the evenings, you'll get unlimited (yes, unlimited) free red and rosé wine to accompany your scrumptious buffet dinners - we can hear the 'cheers' already.
You’ll also have complimentary access to the excellent hotel-run kids’ club. It runs during French school holidays for six days and one evening per week, all season for kids aged 3-5 years, and during French school holidays for 6-17 years. They can enjoy a range of activities under the supervision of qualified, English-speaking professionals. Each week has a different theme, so your kids could be rehearsing for a sci-fi fantasy show, or painting pictures of pretty plants. For the older ones, there are sports tournaments, creative workshops and even discos.
· ski-in, ski-out · on the slopes at the top of the Pleney gondola · gondola to Morzine centre runs daily from 8.45am-8pm (until 2am Tue, Thu and Sat)
All bedrooms have cable TV and safe (hairdryer available at reception).
Twin Room - sleeps 1-2: Twin beds, private bath (with shower attachment) and WC.
Triple Room - sleeps 1-3: Three single beds, private bath (with shower attachment) and WC.
Quad Room - sleeps 1-4 (max 3 adults): Twin beds, two single folding beds, private bath (with shower attachment) and WC.
Baby kit including bed, high chair and bottle warmer available free of charge on request, subject to availability.
· outdoor heated pool (4pm-9pm) · sauna (4pm-9pm) · towels and bathrobes available to hire for pool and sauna area · restaurant with panoramic views · sun terrace · sunset bar with plasma TV · pool table · week of entertainment · Skiset ski hire desk in the hotel · ski storage room · free hotel-run kids' club (operating during French school holidays) · WiFi in the lobby · lift · 70 rooms
· hot and cold buffet breakfast · buffet evening meals including soup, salad and dessert options · unlimited free rosé and red wine included with evening meals · one raclette night per week · early evening children's buffet from 6.45pm
Travelife Gold Award
The Travelife Gold Award formally recognises hotels that achieve excellence in environmental, social and economic sustainability.
Check in between 4pm and 7pm (Sunday to Friday), or from 4pm to 9pm on Saturdays. On arrival, customers must provide a deposit of €250 on either a debit or a credit card - payment by cash or other cards is not permitted.
Please note that the Quad room sleeps a maximum of 3 adults only.
Non-skiers will need to purchase a walker's pass (€75 for 6 days) to use the cable car from the hotel into the village of Morzine. The hotel is not suitable for people with reduced mobility due to its location on the piste, a short uphill walk from the gondola. Please wear sensible shoes on transfer day. All customers staying at the Viking will receive a free walkers pass for the day fo arrival (Saturday) in order to use the Pleney gondola to be able to get back and forth from resort centre.
The dress code for evening meals is smart/casual.
Renardeaux, Pirates and Junior & Teens Clubs
The range of clubs in the Hotel Le Viking suit children of all ages. Club Renardeaux is for little ones from 3-5 years, Les Pirates is for 6-10 years, and the Junior & Teens Clubs for the oldest children between 11 and 17 years. All clubs have English-speaking staff.
- Club Renardeaux & Les Pirates provides themed activities each week, arts and crafts, storytime, singing and creative workshops, plus 'Leo get-togethers' every afternoon including puppet shows, film showings, parties and shows performed by the children
- The Junior & Teens Club offers a specially reserved area for the older children with activities like a Wii, table tennis tournaments, creative workshops and fun sports challenges
- Afternoon snacks are included for children aged 3 months to 10 years
- Extra charge for ski school drop-off and pick-up for children attending Prosneige ski lessons during French school holidays
Renardeaux Club and Les Pirates Club are open during French school holidays*, Sunday to Friday, from 8.30am-5.30pm. Lunch is not included, and will be payable locally.
Junior & Teen clubs only operate during French school holidays* for 15 hours per week.
Please note: Pre-booking is required. Parents are asked to provide an up-to-date medical certificate/health book to ensure children are up to date with vaccinations. This applies to all children under the age of six.
This hotel has an outdoor pool.
Hotel run kids' club
This hotel runs a kids' club - see the hotel description for details.
Exclusive to Crystal
This accommodation is only available through brands operated by TUI Travel PLC in the UK including Crystal.
Step straight onto the slopes from your hotel and avoid any awkward ski bus transfers.
Best for groups
The best accommodation for groups, helping you make the most of your holiday with friends and family.
WiFi is available at this accommodation.
Best for families
A great choice for families, geared to make life easier for parents - and more fun for kids. Featuring one or more of the following: family rooms, free child places, kids clubs and one-parent savers.
Half board includes breakfast and evening meal.